So what does this all mean? I guess my adventures as the "guy who could get things" could mark me as a criminal. However, I choose to reflect on my past endeavors in a different light. What I want this story to expose is my altruistic qualities as a young facilitator and friend to the kids of NPMS.
It was 7th grade, a interesting time indeed. Caught in-between the sweaty, uncontrollable 6th graders and the pompous 8th grade, I felt like a "Stranger" to the rest of the school. This didn't mean I was apathetic or impulsively murderous like our good friend Meursault, but I was stuck somewhere in-between. Don't get the wrong idea either, I didn't start selling the goods to make a name for myself. I didn't do it for the popularity, and I didn't do it for the money (although it was plentiful, believe me). I was just trying to be innovative.
Its true, while many start selling candy for the perks, I just liked to sell. I liked to bargain, deal and distribute. Negotiation just gave me a rush that not even all of my product could match. And we are talking the hard stuff: Skittles, Fun-Dip, Smarties and my personal favorite: Smints
Smints? Never heard of them? Thats probably because they aren't sold in the U.S. Not only were Smints the spark that lit the fire, but they were the water that put it out. You see, it all started when my Mom went on her first business trip outside the U.S. While I was happy I didn't have to deal with her incessant nagging for a week, it was nothing compared to the thrill I found in what she brought back. The small tic-tac looking box was visually unappealing, but boy were those little triangular mints tasty. Right then and there I knew I had a gem on my hands. Sure it started with a few hand outs to closer friends, but once they got popular I had to take advantage.Just like that, I had a business. With my mom unknowingly acting as the smuggler, every shipment of Smint's brought into the U.S. was circulated throughout my very own Middle School. I remember feeling so energized when I handed over the merchandise for the "generous" price of $2.50. Was I expensive? Yes. However, no one cared because the succulent Smint's were simply too tasty. Soon they became a symbol, a sign of alternative culture. If you possessed the European candy, you were a hit.
As the popularity rose, I had to expand (What choice did I have?). Through great deliberation and thought I chose a right hand man to accompany me with the selling, a secretary to track orders and a treasurer to hold the money. Additionally, I expanded my variety of product. Not only was I selling Smint's, but my team and I were running gums and soon after, the aforementioned candies. Keep in mind what this demonstrates about me. I was a hero, just a man trying to twist the boring routine of NPMS. With the candy business, not only was I bringing in profit, but I was having loads of fun. I saw myself as master con-artist, a young, more exuberant Ponzi. But like they say, "all good things must come to an end."
Only two days in and I had made close to $40 net profit. People were stir crazy for my business and I was getting cocky, a horrible combination. I remember the deal, the last deal I ever made. Two sticks of Five gum and a pack of the infamous Smint's for a "mere" $3.00. With that devious smile on my face, I closed my locker in pride, knowing I had just successfully ripped off yet another hopeless customer. Unfortunately, behind that locker was one of those meddling snoops of a lunch monitor. The type that would stop at nothing to bust some innocent kid.
A few minutes later, I found myself in the principals office, literally shaking with fear. I had known that what I was doing was wrong, but I wasn't completely stupid. I had a back-up plan, like all good conmen should have. Knowing that my monopoly could come to an abrupt end in the near future, I brought my gullible father into the equation. Earlier that week, I had played the innocent card with him, asking him basic questions about business and sales. So when the principal spoke with my father, as I expected, he believed that I was too naive to know better. Plus, I had already gotten rid of the evidence. My treasurer had the money at home, my secretary trashed the order list, and my second seller was already dumping the product in some soon to be jubilant kid's locker. It was the perfect end to a perfect plan…
In the end, I got off easy. Sure they framed me for petty vandalism in the schools computer lab later that week, but I understood. You got to keep everybody happy, I was willing to sacrifice some shame for the bigger picture.As for the rest of my team? They went their separate ways. Some dealt low in the shadows of the 6th grade wing, others like me retired. It was the smart thing to do. "A good businessman knows when to fold his cards and take a rest." While I was scared out of mind at the time, I now recollect on this experience in more nostalgia.
What should this reveal about me? Well for one, I exaggerate. But who doesn't love a good story?
This is really funny, I didn't stop laughing. Your voice is very strong in this, and your allusions to almost drug culture are perfect, not over done in the slightest, I'm a fan. Awesome job.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Appreciate the feedback and the support
DeleteHarrison, I loved this blog! It is very humorous and very entertaining.. I couldn't stop reading! you did a great job telling your story in a funny and light hearted way with a great amount of detail.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I was definitely going for a light hearted mood. Appreciate the compliments
Deleteyou're making wish I had gone to NPMS, I can't picture you as a conman per-say but the way you delivery the story makes me want to keep reading. What do you want to study when you go to college? Does this have anything to do with future aspirations?
ReplyDeleteNPMS was probably not worth, you didn't miss much. I don't think sales has much to do with my future, but it was definitely fun to act as if though I was con-man.
DeleteThis is amazing and really funny! You're an amazing writer and your voice is incredible. I liked your reference to "The Stranger"!!
ReplyDeleteAppreciate it! Thank you.
DeleteI loved this entry because it was so funny and interesting to read! The format of this was so good as well. Since it was so great, I would definitely consider using this for your final essay.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I wrote it in the idea of one of my most fun experience. I'm glad you thought it was a good read. I just might use this for my essay, I could go on and on about it.
DeleteI remember this like it was yesterday. This made me relive the best days of our lives in NPMS. Great blog
ReplyDeleteThanks man, NPMS wasn't great, but I tried to make the most out of the mundane.
Delete