Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Earliest of the Early

     I guess it was about kindergarten when I realized I would be a bit "socially handicapped" for the rest of my life. While I didn't have a clinical disorder or take medication for my behavior, I relied on an unorthodox way of interacting with others that proves some sort of social awkwardness. While most of you are pure NPCSD students, I transferred in the middle of 1st grade giving me the cliche experience of being "the new kid."
     But before the awe of a new school and new people, I belonged to the traditional family known as St. Josephs School of Kingston. Catholic schools aren't any different from public schools; the only contrast being the seemingly endless appraisal for Jesus. So life as a kindergartener at St. Joes was comprised of either going to church, or using crayons to fill in outlines of churches. That being said, one can only imagine how an energetic 6 year old developed a social dilemma. 
      In reality, is most likely due to the fact that I never
created a close relationship with my peers in Mrs. Bakers class, but it is much simpler to explain in a single recollection of my awkward adventures in kindergarten. I don't recall how I got the scissors in my hand, but I like to imagine that I was mesmerized by the glistening luster of the metallic blades. When I think about it this way, what happens next is due to enchantment, not (in actuality) poor judgement. I used to see the other boys tease the girls through nicknames and chasing them without the intention of capture. Though I can admit to participation in the name-calling, I never understood it. So the reason I snipped off a sizable portion of  her hair wasn't malicious or out of revenge, but a pure misunderstanding of social graces. As I watched Mrs. Baker frantically rummage through Megan's hair searching for the missing locks (which I had carefully disposed of minutes ago) I felt sad for Megan, but more confused for myself. 
     The antics would carry on throughout my years at Duzine. Whether it was the inadvertent poisoning of a fellow classmate or the competitive reading games with my peers (that secretly only I knew about), my social skills would be in question for many years to come. While I am much more accustomed to interaction now, my nostalgia for the locks of hair I gripped in my hair remains one of my most interesting early experiences. 

3 comments:

  1. Great story Harrison, Iaughed while reading this because I could really see you doing this and understand how you feel about being the "new kid"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definatly can relate! great use of imagery when describing the scissors. Great job!

    ReplyDelete